Hello world! I am alive and well. I haven’t written here in quite some time. Partially because I didn’t feel inspired, partially because I was out enjoying life so much, and mostly because I could never bring myself to just sit down and write.
Some notable life events since the last time we’ve talked:
- I became a CASA volunteer! It’s sort of difficult for me to describe exactly what a CASA does, but it’s the most unique volunteer experience I’ve ever had. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone who cares for children or wants to advocate for children in the foster care system.
- I started a second job! I work at PPD, but I am also a Garden/Nutrition Educator with Texas Sprouts! It’s literally the best job ever. I get to be outside in a garden all day, teaching awesome elementary schoolers about food and gardening and nutrition. What’s not to love?
- I am training for an ultramarathon! It’s the Wild Hare 50k in November. Wish me luck!
- I got accepted to grad school! This fall I will begin pursuing an MSW. It’s part-time and online, so I’ll still be working and am really looking forward to it.
- I took a Spanish class! I love Spanish (and languages in general) and would really like to become fluent. In the fall, I got a Continuing Education pamphlet in the mail from ACC and saw that they had a Spanish class for $121 and I was 100% in. The class was awesome and I learned more than I had expected to! It also helped to jog my memory on a lot of basic Spanish I hadn’t thought about in some time.
- I got really into baking bread lol. I love it so much. I’ve made all sorts and I even have a sourdough starter than I began back in January! If you’re ever in Austin and craving some bread, hit me up.
- The pups were both confirmed as heartworm free. Last March they were diagnosed and we immediately sought out treatment (shout out, Emancipet!). After they completed treatment, we had to wait 6 months to do another heartworm test and they are both healthy and happy!
- Patrick and I started a little garden! Currently we have lettuce, carrots, onion, bell pepper, strawberry, rosemary, basil, mint, and lavender growing in it. We also have two tomato plants and sunflowers growing in some pots nearby… Um. We may have gone a tad bit overboard, but it’s too fun not to! It’s getting too hot for our lettuce, so I’ve been enjoying harvesting it for salads or to put on veggie burgers.
- Which brings me to one of my favorite purchases ever… Patrick and I got a mini grill! LOL. We bought it on a whim because the HEB meal deal a few weeks back was burgers and we thought it would be super fun to invite family over and grill some burgers. The grill has been one of those purchases that I wasn’t entirely sure would be worth, but it totally has been. My favorite meal as of late is grilled veggie burgers with chips or sweet potato fries. Also, Heinz makes “mayochup” now which rules.
- I signed up to get certified as a BodyPump instructor! If you know me, you know that I’m obsessed with BodyPump and I love getting strong. Well, I finally bit the bullet and signed up for an instructor training the first weekend of June. YAY!
- I started writing down daily gratitude (on Insta) and it changed my life. Honestly, I used to think that saying what you were grateful for was fine and all, but kind of cheesy. And then I started doing it and noticed an actual change in my life. I typically do it at the end of the day or the following morning. It forces me to be aware of how I handled various events during my day and it makes me check myself when I’m in a bad mood. And, frankly, there is a lot to be grateful for in life and it should be celebrated more often than it is.
Obviously far more things have happened in my life than just those 11, but that’s all I’ve got for now! Hopefully I will be back soonish for more exciting Juliana ramblings.